In 24 hours, EVERY single ticket to The Karate Nerd Experience 2015 (KNX15) sold out.
(View the epic invitation if you missed it).
In the process of launching this event, I received some questions.
To make it easier to decide next year if you want to join, I’ll now answer the 15 most frequently asked questions about KNX15.
1: “I’m 46 yrs old and usually train Karate 2 times per week. Will the seminar be suitable for someone of my age and fitness level? (I am reasonably fit, but 7 hrs hard training would be a bit much for me!)”
Answer: More does not equal better. The goal of KNX15 is not to sweat in a gi for 7 hours straight, but to improve your Karate through new ideas, new people & new insights into your personal practice. Anyone can make you sweat. But not anyone can make you improve. So your fitness level doesn’t matter – your mindset does.
2. “I am a relatively new black belt. I know some advanced katas from my Karate style, and very little katas of other styles. Does style/grade matter?”
Answer: The Karate Nerd Experience is open to all styles and grades. You’re there to learn stuff – not to know stuff. Besides, a Karate Nerd™ doesn’t care too much about styles, grades or associations. Those are often roadblocks on the path to discovering your higher human potential. Try to see the big picture.
3. “Will the seminar explore all aspects of Karate? Kata, bunkai, self- defence, spiritual, etc?”
Answer: Yes. By definition, a “Karate Nerd” is someone who explores Karate from a 360 degree perspective; kata, bunkai, kumite, history, kobudo, Japanese language & culture, sport science, philosophy etc. It’s all part of the incredibly fun diversity of Karate. (Read more about being a Karate Nerd™.)
4. “Help! I cannot attend due to money/time/family/health etc. Is there a way to still participate? I’m a “Karate Nerd” in my heart!”
Answer: Yes. The whole experience will be recorded by Thomas Gellert, a professional video artist (get last year’s video pack here), so you can enjoy KNX15 through videos from home. Last year, over 200 people bought this. All videos & pics are included for participants, so they can focus on training.
5. “What do you mean by The Karate Nerd “Experience”? What makes KNX so super special? Isn’t it just a regular seminar?”
Answer: KNX is not a “regular” seminar. There won’t be masses of people standing behind each other, copying mindless punches, kicks and blocks for hours and hours, just to go home sweaty… but unfulfilled. At KNX15, you will literally eat, sleep & train together with crazy mofos just like you for three days – and in the process widen your perspective on Karate from both a physical, technical and theoretical standpoint. If you ask me, KNX is a whole new kind of Karate “seminar” (read why here). I think you have to be there to truly understand.
6. “How far is the venue from the airport? Will any transport be provided?”
Answer: The KNX15 venue, an Olympic sport complex, lies just a few minutes from the airport. That’s why we chose it. You can literally grab a cab and be there in 5 minutes! It’s super convenient. But personally, I take the train from the airport, it’s just a few stations. Many people travel by car or bus too, depending on where they’re coming from. Last year we had over 20 countries attending.
7. “Do I need to arrange my own sleeping arrangements?”
Answer: Nope. Room is included, along with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
8. “Can children sign up for this seminar? My son is 8 year old, 4th kyu, training for about 3 years. He is very enthusiastic about Karate and I usually try to sign him up for all the Karate camps that I attend”.
Answer: That’s awesome! But KNX is just for 18+. Maybe there will be a kids edition in the future, who knows? Thanks for the idea.
9. “Are we talking modern competition Karate or, rather traditional, Okinawa-style Karate? I noticed you kinda tackle both approaches.
Answer: We’re talking Karate. From all angles & approaches. Because life’s too short to be stuck in a box. That’s the liberating Karate Nerd™ mindset.
10. “I practice style X/Y/Z. Our kata are different than other styles. Will there be a specific style when it comes to teaching at KNX15?”
Answer: The teachings at KNX15 transcend style-bound limitations. Although it’s good to have a proper style as your original base/reference point, be prepared to let your hair down at KNX.
11. “Will you take the world’s fastest Karate seminar group picture again?”
Answer: No. KNX15 is not a copy of KNX14. That’s old news. We’ll do new stuff!
12. “I am very much interested in the KNX15, but as I focus very much on the historic and the contemporary self-defense aspects of the martial arts and on healthy body training methods, I wouldn’t be so much interested in more sport/competition/athletic orientated topics. Do you already know on which aspects you and other teachers will focus the KNX15?”
Answer: You can find out exactly what topic each teacher will focus on here. That being said, if you’re not interested in exploring a diverse range of Karate aspects, KNX15 is probably not for you. I’m not saying you need to *love* every side of Karate – but you do need to learn from it all. At KNX15, you will.
13. “Is there perhaps a package discount for airfare from USA?”
Answer: If I could wave a magic wand to teleport all attendees to KNX15 for free, I would! But at the moment, travel is the only thing that participants need to cover themselves. Everything else is taken care of! Just show up and smile. ; -)
14. “Are spots allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis?”
Answer: Yes. That’s probably why you didn’t get one. Remember, just like Chuck Norris, Karate Nerds™ never sleep… we wait. And now you gotta wait a year.
15. “Why so few spots?”
Answer: Simple. I want every participant to be seen. You are not a cog in a McDojo machinery here, bro. You are a Karate Nerd™. You are unique!
Those were the 15 most popular questions about KNX15.
(Got more? Leave a comment below.)
Thanks a lot!
PS. Pre-order the KNX15 video so you don’t miss the action.
PPS. And get last year’s KNX14 video pack today!